Translate

Friday, August 19, 2011

What Are Bondage Do Mean, Mainstream People?


For the record, this is bondage, from Bondagerotica sponsor hogtied.com.

I scan the Web ceaselessly for interesting material for my blog, or frankly for my own edification, and I came across a fascinating bit of silliness on a celebrity-oriented pop culture site called “Hollywood Life.” It was an article entitled: “15 Hollywood Bondage Girls: Angelina Jolie, Miley Cyrus & More! Who’s Hottest?” Check it out here!

As you can imagine, I was there in flash. For the record, Hollywood Life is very much a mainstream celeb blog, not a bondage blog with an interest in Hollywood. And if you follow the link to the article and look at all the pics, you will see what I saw: not a single fricking bondage image in the lot of them. No one is tied to anything, not even themselves! No gags are to be seen! It's all just women dressed in black strappy dresses!

You can imagine my disappointment.

Well, actually I was not all that disappointed, because I was not all that surprised. It has become evident to me that the term “bondage” as used in the mainstream, especially the mainstream fashion/celebrity press, means “diddly squat.” Well, that's taking it a bit far. Actually what mainstream folks mean by “bondage” is what kinky folk mean when they say “fetish-y.” Black strappy dresses, shoes, chokers, necklaces, etc., that SUGGEST bondage but don't involve any actual tying of anyone to anything, including themselves.

I suspect this is a result of the general perception that bondage is the kinder, gentler aspect of BDSM, after all, it's pretty commonplace to hear women say they like “mild bondage” or “bondage” but of course BDSM is too out there, because it includes pain and whips and so forth, which the mainstream has not adopted … yet. (I'm not sure I WANT them to adopt it, is nothing profane?) But still, I suspect the term bondage is going to get thoroughly denatured by mainstream folk looking for a term that sounds edgy and kinky but can be applied to stuff that is not actually all that kinky.

Thinking about it, it's another aspect of plausible deniability. They want viewers to imagine that the wearers of these garments are kinky, but without straight-out advertising what their particular kink is, and with a certain ability to deny that they are kinky at all … just that they were REFERENCING kink in their fashions, as it were. Sort of like a Slave Leia outfit references Star Wars, not just slave girls.

This portends badly for bondage fans generally, because really, our sites don't get the eyeballs that mainstream celeb/fashion sites do. As a practical matter, bondage is likely to eventually mean anything kinda strappy in the way of clothing, with no implications about tying, chaining, gagging, etc.

I personally would be in favor of using the term “fashion bondage” to refer to mildly kinky looking clothing that kinda relates to bondage, rather than having the word “bondage” taken wholesale. But given the numbers, I fear it would be easier to get Sarah Jessica Parker to play a game of naked twister with Jessica Alba in Madison Square Garden while the cameras roll. More fun, perhaps, but … incredibly difficult!

Finally, Miley Cyrus was named the best of the celebrity bondage babes by the website's visitors. I would not have voted for her, despite being of legal age, she's still kinda young for that. I get the impression, however, that there are a lot of Miley Cyrus fans who think she should win every celebrity contest, ever, and this was one of them so they swarmed the site, creating a really lopsided victory for Ms. Cyrus. Frankly, in terms of bondage I doubt Ms. Cyrus was the most qualified contestant by a long shot, if you know what I mean. And what I mean is, Angelina Jolie? Lady frickin' Gaga? Come on, both of these women have fostered a public image whereby if a video came out of the two of them squirming in a lesbian bondage 69 spreadeagle in Madison Square Garden while being anally raped by dildo engines, well, it would be seized on by the media with great delight, but nobody who follows celeb sites would be ASTONISHED by it.

I do not think the same can be said of Miley Cyrus. But then, what do I know, I'm not a fan. Maybe her fans know something I don't.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh fawq! The Kardashian twits? Seriously? Those on that site have lived very, very, sheltered lives. hahaha

Jay L

Pat Powers said...

Well people who follow celebrity news blogs are likely to have their own standards, y'know?