Translate

Thursday, June 6, 2019

I keep getting surprised by my own writing (with gratuitous bondage)


Heidi all grown up and all tied up.

So, what was the strange thing that happened when I wrote “The Visitor from Incel World”? My initial thought had been that this would heighten the contrast with Collar World, and make Collar World's nature more vivid to readers. And some of that definitely happened, in ways that surprised me, and I'm the writer, dammit! I keep being surprised by my own writing. My subconscious is clearly actively involved in writing my stories.

In this case, I wrote a line, “It's like living in a summer camp that thinks it's a city” which is the Visitor's reaction to the way people on Collar World conduct themselves. They're much more mellow and relaxed and open than Earth people, because their sexual needs are fully met, and they have every reason to believe that their needs will be met in the future. There's none of the sex anxiety (the equivalent of “food anxiety”) that we have on Earth, because they live in a sex positive society.

I had never thought out that people in a sex positive society might conduct themselves in a more relaxed and open way, and that this might be the first thing that a visitor from our world would notice, after they got over the public nudity and the public sex, of course.

But that's not the weird thing that happened.

The weird thing that happened was that the real focus of “The Visitor from Incel World” was on how the people of Collar World reacted to what Ariana Hufflepuff, the visitor from Incel World, said about Earth, and what her behavior and attitudes implied about Earth. She's a women's studies grad student at a New England women's college, so she's a bit of an unreliable narrator in certain respects, which is how Earth gets the name “Incel World” on Collar World. (By the way, what do the occupants of Collar World call their planet? Earth, of course.)
And the response of the Collar World residents to what they discover about Earth is what turns out to drive the story and leads directly to the creation of a sequel, not Ariana's response to what she sees on Collar World. I had not expected that.

No comments: