Translate

Friday, June 8, 2012

50 Shades of BDSM Stereotypes


I hope he steretypically fucks my brains out!" Image source: Sex and Submission.

Ran across an article on the Huffington Post that did an excellent job of disputing the stereotypes about male dominants that float around in the culture and are unfortunately confirmed by the Christian Gray character in 50 Shades of Gray. Best of all, it disputes them with some good clean science! Nice to see something fairly substantive showing up in my flying monkeys' grab bags. Most of the articles they find are rather shallow, but whaddya expect, they are flying monkeys and a lot of the stuff they find are from the more mainstream-ish sites.

I don't think the character was created by E.L. James to confirm such stereotypes. She just wanted to create a brooding hero like the male lead of Wuthering Heights. But there is is, she sure did confirm the stereotypes. I'm so pleased with her success, but I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

No comments: