Translate

Monday, December 12, 2011

Why I Dumped the Paypal Donate Button


Won't you PLEASE help this innocent bondagette? She has no money to buy clothing, and her house is so small she can only wear it on her head! Please send money so she can at LEAST update to a brick house to wear on her head! (Image source: Public Disgrace.)

First of all, let me say that I feel that I am a truly worthy cause. Granted, I am not a sick cat, but my family owns a cat and he does not always feel well, and that should count for something. But apparently it does not in the eyes of Paypal, those bastards!

But generous and deserving soul though I am, I am not about to go through what Regretsy went through. They decided to collect money to give gifts to 200 poor families, and put up a Paypal donate button so visitors to the site could donate funds for that purpose. Paypal somehow discovered this hideous act of chicanery and froze Regretsy's Paypals accounts -- all of them, not just the charity account -- in order to keep those needy families from getting any ill-gotten gains.

Seriously, Paypal said that the donate button could be used for sick cats, but not for needy families! And a lot of other bullshit ... read the story at the link, it's got almost unbelievable levels of corporate bullshit and dickery in it ... well, unbelievable unless you've ever had any dealings with Paypal.

So Regretsy got lots of publicity out of the debacle, which is great, but a regular guy like me? Doing sexual bondage humor? They'd squash me without a thought.

In fact, the only thing that has saved me from being in serious trouble with Paypal is YOU GUYS! You, wonderful readers, have kept me out of trouble by not making a SINGLE donation to my site through the Paypal button or otherwise! It's like YOU KNEW!

Still, even without the Paypal donate button, you can help. I've created all sorts of phoney-baloney artwork on Cafe Press and Deviantart that can be put on T-shirts, mugs, mousepads and other ostensibly useful objects for you to buy. And they allow credit card purchases as well as Paypal, so you are relatively safe.

In fact, I've created new artworks for both sites -- four new t-shirts on Cafe Press, half a dozen new whatnots on Deviantart. Here's a sample below:


Just a sample of the great art to be found at my Deviant Art and Cafe Press sites. And for the record ... my children STILL have no (sob) polo ponies ... and my cat, well ... I threw the jangly ball a short while ago and ... (sniffle) he showed NO INTEREST* in chasing it!


*OK, he never does, but still ...

No comments: